Monday, October 17, 2011

more on cell phones

They aren't really phones any more, but instead portable computers. (The kids rarely use them as phones any more!)  I remember 'back in the day' when, as a teenager, I would have practically killed just to have a phone jack in my bedroom (didn't happen.)  Of course having my own phone line wasn't even on the radar.  At least I didn't have to walk uphill in the snow (both ways) to and from school - although it was a couple of blocks to the school bus stop, we did get snow, and in those days, girls couldn't wear pants to school.  
(My sister, 3 years younger, did have that option.)

Back in the day we also used things called phone books.
 
Let's not forget long distance calls, where you definitely kept an eye on the clock.  In my folks' days, a long distance call usually meant someone was either getting married, having a baby, or had died.  I remember how my dad worried over my phone bill when I used to call home every other weekend to chat with Mom.  I finally convinced him that with the new rates (10 cents a minute) we could chat for an hour like we were right next door - it was worth it for only $6.  And now?

No comments:

Post a Comment