Friday, October 28, 2011

Doing nothing?

Haven't slept much the past few nights, and am pretty tired during the day.  Yesterday I dozed off during the long commercial before Final Jeopardy, and woke up in time to hear the final scores, missing the question.  Bummer.  
Alex has asked several times in the past couple of days if I'm OK - obviously I don't look it!  And last night at dinner, when I guess I was 'relaxing' my eyes by staring off into space, he asked what I was staring at.

I'm off in a bit to substitute in the 5th grade.  Went to bed at 9:00 last night, and took something so I'd be sure to sleep, so I should be just fine.
Actually I don't have trouble most of the time when I'm subbing, partly because now I only sub for those teachers who have 'good' classes.  If a teacher can't 'control' her own class, I'm certainly not going in there as a sub.  
I remember when I first moved to Arizona in the 70s, and with only 2 years teaching experience (in a private school in DC) was subbing in the Washington District. That was a lower income area of the city which had some difficulty attracting subs.  On that particular day I was in an 8th grade classroom.  A few students came up to the desk to ask for help with the assignment (which was somewhat unusual) and I was more than happy to help them.  I didn't notice anything else out of the ordinary until I was home that evening - a hunk of my (almost waist-long) hair was missing in the back, and could only have been cut when I was distracted in class.  Boy, they were sneaky!

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment