Friday, May 11, 2018

I was too tired to blog last night after I got back to Mink Hollow.  I'd used all my remaining energy after the day's travels <g> to upload the pix from my camera after hanging out on the deck and filling in Andy & Sandy on the trip.


Look how excited Suzanne and Mom were
to be reunited Tuesday evening after last May's visit:




And here they were at the Asian restaurant, happy even before we were served our scrumptious appetizers and meals.



Wednesday was a full day of visiting.


I'd brought along my iPad so Mom could show Suzanne
the pix that I took at brunch on Sunday.




Happy, happy!


And something was funny...



When we were getting ready to leave, the girls flashed brave smiles.
Everyone agrees: SAME TIME NEXT YEAR!



Thursday Mom and I "forced" ourselves to eat breakfast at the hotel, and then made the 9:30 train.  A couple at the station, Sylvia and Bud, tagged along since we "knew" where we were going.  Of course I first headed to the elevator that we'd come up on Tuesday.... which would have taken us to the platform on the wrong side of the tracks, heading away from Penn Station. Luckily we figured it out in time!


We enjoyed chatting with them on the trip to Penn Station (they've been living in Jerusalem since the 70s.)  Sylvia was cold, so she was thrilled to have the use of my heavy sweater (I'd hoped to be able to stuff it into the suitcase since I knew I wouldn't need it, but it was way too bulky), and Bud took care of our suitcase so I could help Mom.



It was a much more relaxed transfer at Penn since we didn't have to rush to find the gate and then get down a long flight of stairs.  Our timing was good and there was no line to buy Amtrak tickets. We then relaxed for an hour until it was time for our train.  The woman sitting next to us in the waiting area was somewhat stressed (she'd never taken a train before) but even with my limited experience on Amtrak I was able to answer many of her questions.


  Despite Mom saying we didn't need a Redcap, it was very helpful TO ME to have one take the suitcase and walker down the escalator so I could help Mom on and off.  Andy and Sandy always use a Redcap, and next year I will definitely over-ride Mom even if she doesn't want one.


There was a school field trip of 4th graders sitting by us - who unfortunately left an incredible mess when they got off in Philadelphia. (WHY the chaperones didn't have them clean up after themselves before getting off is beyond me.) 



Our traveling companions were a woman and her granddaughter, who were traveling to DC to attend the law school graduation of their daughter/aunt.  When it turned out that the woman was uncomfortable riding backwards (like Dad had been) I insisted we change seats.  No biggie for me (we'd ridden backwards the entire trip on the way up.) 


During the ride I actually worked some on Maggie's bib, the first time since I'd left Arizona a week earlier. While technically it's not impossible, it's "highly unlikely" <G> that I'll get it done in time to gift to her this weekend.



Mom and I had not been the least bit hungry when we arrived at Penn station, and since we still had the cinnamon pita chips we'd brought with us on the trip up (and the Belgian cookies Barbara had given us), we ended up not buying anything else to eat on the trip.  Muriel would not have been happy, but we were fine with our lunch.



We were back at Riderwood around 3:30, and at 5:00 met Mildred and JJ downstairs for dinner.  They were coming from their class, which was discussing The Day The World Came to Town 9/11 in Gander, Newfoundland by Jim Defede.  Of course we've all heard about the town's hospitality after all the planes were grounded, but the book sounds wonderful so I'm putting it on my list. 


I got a good night's sleep, and am now thinking about getting ready for the day.  For a change (!) there's nothing really on the schedule for today.  If the weather cooperates and it doesn't rain, I plan to take Mom to Home Depot to find a replacement bracket for her rollator seat.  One has already fallen off, and with only one remaining the seat wobbles around (and of course the sole remaining bracket could come loose and fall off at some later date.)  

They only cost $1.54 on the website (though of course considering shipping would be involved the price would end up considerably higher) but obviously there's no time now for that now.  It will be interesting to see what we find at Home Depot.  Hopefully one of the employees will be able to help us find something that will work. 



No comments:

Post a Comment