Sunday, October 12, 2014

I slept until 5:30 this morning, so at least I'm heading in the right direction.  Of course Tuesday I do have to get up early (I'll be subbing again, in that same 4th grade classroom) so Tuesday will most likely be the day my body will decide it wants to sleep in.



Got more yardwork done yesterday, but of course there's LOTS more yet to do.  One of the things slated for today was raking in the 'forest' and filling up the trash cans before pickup tomorrow.  


I also trimmed back the lemon bush, lantana, and some of the oleanders by the gate back there.  I had NO problem filling up the trash can, and of course there's still a LOT more raking left to do.  After I showered I headed off to Home Depot, where I got a hedge trimmer, so guess what's next on my Yard List?


While I was at Home Depot I wandered into the garden department where I picked up a small cactus to replace the one that croaked (while we were in Colorado and Alex was 'taking care' of the plants that hadn't been moved to Patti's.)  I assumed the cactus could survive benign neglect for 5 weeks <g> but maybe it got over-watered?  Anyway, as of today it's been replaced.


(Obviously I need to add 'clean table' to my To Do list!)

Also stopped in at Sprouts (it's so close to Home Depot) and picked up some fish and chicken (will probably grill both) and some fruits/veggies.  Patti raved about their Honeycrisp apples so I made sure to grab a couple of those.  I'd never heard of them, so I looked them up and discovered they are a cultivated variety created at the University of Minnesota and "prized for their sweetness, firmness, and tartness." 


In case anyone is curious, that tree I went out to work on yesterday turned out to be half a dozen 'shoots' off the trunk that I took care of (I thought!) not that long ago. That trunk was at least 6" in diameter (the stump is easy proof.)  Happily the new shoots hadn't gotten that big around yet, all but one only an inch or three, though they towered at least 10 feet tall!  Anyway yesterday I was able to get all but the largest one removed before my arm quit on me.  


With no sunlight able to penetrate the thick oleander hedge down to the ground I am puzzled as to why that volunteer tree is so happy and resilient.  Just another one of Life's burning mysteries, I guess.


I saw Alex a little while ago as he was heading out to lunch, and reminded him about it.  He promised that when he gets back from lunch he'll take care of sawing off the remaining 'shoot'.



Jan called yesterday about our annual RV camping trip to the Wickenburg Bluegrass Festival ; turns out that she has a conflict that weekend.  But that's when I realized so do I - Rachelle's wedding.  The only year I have missed (since the festival's inception 36 years ago!) was 1992, when I was also in Maryland.  Obviously Wickenburg will just have to limp along without me once again.  At least I'll get a bluegrass 'fix' this coming weekend in Kingman.



I decided I might as well shampoo the rug in Alex's room as long as that quilting shelf is (still) empty and movable.  Sadly the Bissel cleaner still isn't happy, although both Patti and I have tried fixing it so the soap dispenser will once again work. Moving on to Plan B, I poured a smattering of soap onto the tough spots and worked it in with a toothbrush.  Will know how well that method worked after the carpet dries.



Tom checked in last night.  He had fun up in the mountains out in the middle of nowhere, but was back in civilization and thinking of heading home.  At least until he talked to Carlo, who convinced him that "as long as he was that close" (5-6 hours) he should "swing by" for a visit.  I don't think Carlo had to twist Tom's arm very hard... <G>  


So it seems I'll be bach-ing it for a while longer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment