Saturday, May 17, 2014

Yesterday I picked some peaches at Jeannie's (they have quite a number of trees, and most of them are quite prolific) and then worked on the curtains for the camper in Tom's truck.  They worked up much faster than I expected (despite extra trips out to remeasure the windows and the angle) which is always a nice surprise; now they are just waiting to have Velcro sewn on.  

I had planned to do that yesterday (after I called the nearby Michaels to confirm that they do carry what I need) but couldn't find a 50% coupon. Since I need quite a lot I will wait to go buy that until after I scavenge the Sunday supplements for their usual coupon.  

After the velcro is attached (and I certainly hope it's NOT the headache that I experienced when sewing some onto the mattress pad!) the curtains will still need to be hemmed.  But I'll wait to do that until I see how they hang and how exactly much I need to cut off of the bottom.  

After I set the irrigation gates last night (at 6:05) we went out for Chinese with Alex.  He'd gone to work out at the gym, which is nearby, and arrived at the restaurant first, calling at exactly 6:00 to see where we were.
(Doing irrigation!)

  When we got home I made him come inside to see the new curtains.  He does not like the material Tom chose (I do), but as Dad used to say, "That's what makes horse races."
 

Change in plans after I texted and then spoke with Lisa yesterday afternoon.  

Things are a bit <G> stressful at her end.  

Not only is there the usual end-of-the-year grading of final papers/exams before final grades can be computed and recorded (and which, of course, are always due too soon), but she's also having to wrap up everything at school (including saying goodbye to beloved students and staff) PLUS move out of the house AND make the big move to California.  Too bad Chas is already there working and not around to help with some of those headaches.  (The movers, who were supposed to come by Thursday to finalize arrangements, never showed, so she was going to have to wait for them Friday after work.)

In addition, their housing arrangements have changed (which I suspected was the reason for last weekend's last-minute trip to San Francisco) and they will not be able to bring their albino gecko Lemma with them.  In addition to just plain missing him, there was the added stress of having to find a new (good!) home for him.  I KNOW I have (multiple) pix of Lemma, which I'd share if I could... but the computer won't help me find them.

I had the brilliant suggestion that Lisa not drive up here after the movers came, saw, and conquered  left, just to see us for a bit and then race back down on Saturday.   

Instead, we are driving down there today to see her and say goodbye.  We rarely saw her during her two years in Tucson, but it's dawned on her <g> that once she moves to San Francisco she will be considerably more than a 2-hour drive from us (should she want to see us.)  

In all fairness, the move to California was not her idea.  But when Chas got a coveted job at Google, how could they say no?

Did I mention that they've scored a place in Haight Asbury?!  


Did I mention that (as a child of the 60s) I'm jealous?

(been there, done that - several years ago!)

I got a couple more watermelon blocks done yesterday, and will go work on the rest while I wait for Tom to get up and get ready to drive down to Tucson.  We need some placemats, so I'm finally getting around to making some for US!  It's the old "the shoemaker's children have no shoes" scenario!


No comments:

Post a Comment