Monday, May 12, 2014

Friday morning Jan picked me up, and I spent a delightful weekend in her RV by a creek in Page Springs, 'next-door' to Barb & Bernie, and Dana.  We all 'camp' together in Wickenburg at the Bluegrass Festival each November.


This was my view outside my 'bedroom' window.

After a tasty lunch at Up The Creek 

we then relaxed creek side all afternoon.  Dana, Barb and Bernie found some nice shade. Their rig is on the left, ours is on the right. 

There were BIG elephant ears, lots of pretty flowers, and squirrels scampering up and down trees for our enjoyment. 




I think Barb got shot of me taking a shot of these irises.


A blue heron made a couple of appearances in the campground. But without a doubt the bird highlight was some spectacular yellow/black red-headed birds cruising around much of the afternoon for our enjoyment.  

Marilyn correctly identified them as western tanagers when I texted her with a description. (I was able to look them up Saturday morning on the computer in the office and confirm her guess.)

For dinner we dined again at UTC; I had the special (dill salmon) and then for desert tried their flour-free (!) chocolate cake - which was incredibly good!

Saturday morning Barb and Bernie whipped up yummy French toast for breakfast, which we ate listening to the creek gurgle merrily.  Late morning we took a walk along the creek through the bird preserve and left flowers for Gloria.  Bernie had spotted this box (her ashes?) on a walk along the creek the day before.



During our walk we saw HUGE cottonwoods (for some sense of scale, see Jan in the lower right corner) 

and a dog in a boat 

but unfortunately none of the 170 species of birds, as hoped.

Perhaps it was just the wrong time of day?  We got back to camp right at noon.  Still, it was a pleasant hike.



We spent a lazy afternoon reading by creek (here Jan demonstrates how it's done)

and I even took a nap in the late afternoon.

For dinner Bernie grilled the steaks, and mine came off the grill so hot it melted the plastic plate! 

  Sunday morning I woke up with Vertigo - NO idea why!?! - and watched the ceiling spin for a while. 

I called mom and wished her happy Mother's Day, then heard from Deb who just got home from the hospital after breaking her hip.  She still plans to visit in June, and says the quilt show in strawberry pine that weekend sounds great.

Jan made some delicious quiche while I cut up fruit for breakfast.  (And of course I saved the strawberry tops and apple cores for Pokey, who certainly enjoyed them when I got home later that afternoon.)  We saw Mr. Western Tanager again but I never was able to get a good picture. 

We had a windy but otherwise uneventful drive back to Phoenix.  Lisa called to wish me happy Mother's Day (from the airport, waiting to fly home) and Alex got me wonderful card, chocolate, and Barnes & Noble gift card.  


It 'might have taken him a few years', but I finally got to hear some appreciation! <G>

Tom had a roast in the crock pot, and for dessert Alex took us out for ice cream.

And as an added bonus, Tom had mowed the front yard, so I don't have to do that now.

Now it's the start of another busy week.  At least I got an early start <sigh> at 3:30 this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment