Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Subbing (5th grade math) went well this morning.  Yes the kids were talkative, but nothing like the high school math class.  Some of the students finished their work, and in theory should have been reading - except that the librarian had them turn in all their books yesterday.  With 'nothing else to do', I suggested they write me a letter.  Now I know <g> that I am "the best sub ever", "awesome", and my earrings are "very classic and fancy" (I wore the cats playing with the mice.)  One letter mentioned my stint as the Word Wizard, and  thanked me for having done so much for them.  Always nice to be appreciated!


The tree trimmers had just arrived when I got home, and Tom had already put Pokey in the garage (as I had suggested... though I don't think she was too thrilled.)  The two olive trees back there now look MUCH better, and let in considerably more light.  Just hope we haven't lost our privacy from 37th Ave.!  I should have taken a 'before' picture, but here's the 'after'.

Sapphire is buried between the two olives, and if you look carefully at the picture above you should be able to spot her gravestone on the ground.  

This afternoon I whipped up my first pillowcase, using fun fabrics from my stash; it will go to Charity.  There were no problems during construction and I am pleased with the result.  I hope the recipient enjoys it.

As long as I had the camera out I snapped a few pix on the front porch.

Here are the purple 'almost flowers' on the onion plant. 

The spider plant outside the front door continues to nurture its babies.

The plant on the left is tipsy only because of Mr. Turtle, though it doesn't seem to mind.  The fern seems to be holding its own, but never does nearly as well as Patti's.  Wish I knew her secret!

A couple of the new salvia plants

and four more in the cache pot on the left, with volunteer lantana, a sundial birdbath, and some Wandering Jew shoots hang out by the corner.

I've also gotten to enjoy a couple more baby tomatoes, and have almost another dozen working hard to ripen.  So far the weather hasn't been too hot, but we will be 'enjoying' triple temps this weekend.  Of course in these parts it doesn't truly count as 'hot' until we reach 110 and above...

  

No comments:

Post a Comment