Wednesday, November 14, 2012

We had so much fun (as usual!) at today's quilt presentation by Pat Knoechel.  The ladies from Daisy Mountain were thrilled to be included; I ate lunch with several of them, and they said they were behaving in hopes of being invited back next year.  Works for me....

I took lots of pix to share.  The first quilt is from Eleanor Burns' Tales of First Ladies book, which uses blocks named after (you guessed it) some of the our First Ladies.
It is a beautiful quilt - but I liked this smaller one better because of the brighter color scheme:
The center blocks are different, but otherwise it's the same quilt.

Here's one of the blocks from the quilt (I forget which First Lady )
and here's a whole quilt using just that block:

The next quilt she demo-ed was a braid.  I've done one before (it's a simple construction) but there was wastage.  However not with her method!  So I bought the pattern, which comes with the template.

This braid has a rich color theme.

And this one is scrappy.

Here are 3 more (the turquoise one was stunning!)

And in this one she alternated the directions of the braids:

Last she did this Storm At Sea.  I've always liked this pattern, which is all straight seams yet gives the illusion of curves.  And now I learn that there's also a heart in there!  Can you see it?


Of course Pat brought some quilts from previous years' programs...

LOVED the bright colors in this one (the picture doesn't do it justice.)  Pat found out at one program (from a 6-year-old) that her pearl 'bubbles' were wrong; bigger bubbles should be at the top, and smaller bubbles at the bottom.

Here's a perfect Fall quilt.  In this one the neutral background is a batik and gives the quilt much more 'depth' than even a small print neutral.

See the difference between the neutrals here?  And the log cabin neutral is actually a small print.

And you can use the leaf block to make a turkey table runner for Thanksgiving:


I'm not usually much of a 'basket' fan, but liked these two:


Anyone who knows me knows that I don't go for the pastels - but do like miniature blocks.

And those are all the pix I'm going to post.  It was a wonderful day - such a shame you missed it!


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting all the great pictures, Bobbi! I was in the 3rd row and on one side so couldn't get them from that side of the room. It sure was a wonderful program, and the pot luck was terrific, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have more pix, so if there is a quilt you wanted a picture of that wasn't posted I might have it. It was easier to see when we had the big room at the library with the elevated stage. C'est la vie!

    ReplyDelete