Friday, November 23, 2012

Thanksgiving - our family and Patti's - was relaxing and decicious.  The only 'crisis' occured when I uncovered the deviled eggs I'd made the day before and discovered that the aluminum foil had 'melted' (onto cold eggs?!?) At first it looked like mold.... until we saw the corresponding holes in the foil.  Weird!  So I scraped the silver off and we ate them.  All alive and well this morning, so I guess I didn't poison anyone.

Did you know that some small children have been known to drink toxic substances (obviously not every place is childproofed) because they equated the skull and crossbones with (fun) pirates?  So someone came up with a 'better' picture to put on their products, the UGH Face.


Speaking of poisoning little kids: One time when I was unloading the dishwasher Lisa called me to show me something.  I hadn't noticed that some of the dishwashing powder had clumped and been left behind, and I returned a moment later to find toddler Alex putting it in his mouth.  (It had to taste horrible, right?!)  A call to Poison Control calmed my fears, but as Dad used to say, "That's why parents get gray hair!

Then there was the time I accidentally poisoned Alex with one of my pain pills.  

We were in Maryland, on the way back to Mom & Dad's after a busy week at the beach.  Alex was on antibiotic tablets and in the dark car I reached into my purse and grabbed the pill container (forgetting, since I never used them, that I also had brought along my unused oxycodone in case my back went out over vacation.)  Of course the pill containers (and the tablets themselves) were identical in the dark car.  Usually Alex chewed his tablets happily (wonder of wonders... a pill that tastes good!) but he complained and tried to spit it out until I made him swallow it. BAD MOTHER! 

By the time we got home (this was well before the era of cell phones) and I called poison control he was quite sleepy (hey, it was probably 10:00.)  They wanted me to try and keep him awake, but have you ever tried to keep a pre-schooler awake at night when he's tired?  
It was a losing battle and around midnight I finally gave up.
The next morning I was truly afraid to go into his bedroom because of what I might find.  As long as I didn't go in there he was fine....but of course I went in eventually. And he was just fine - all's well that ends well!


In a little bit Patti and I are going to a small craft show (Magic Bird) at a local high school.  I know tomorrow is the Small Saturday 'shop local businesses thing', but we're just a day early doing our part to help the local economy.




No comments:

Post a Comment