Thursday, February 16, 2012

I flunked yesterday's blood test

Guess I should have studied harder... :-)
 Here are my crucial numbers -
white blood cells (chemo requires at least 2.0) dropped from 5.2 to 1.5
platelets (chemo requires at least 100) dropped from 188 to 80
ANC (a component of the WBC; chemo requires at least 1) dropped from 3.0 to .7

SO - I had another shot today, this one of Neupogen, and will get another one tomorrow and a third on Saturday.  Plus I'm on antibiotics (keflex) for the next 5 days, with strict instructions on how to keep myself safe.  Basically sounds like I'll be stuck at home. 
 
The oncologist also said they'll tweak my dosage for next time.  The first treatment is basically a crap shoot, with dosages based on height and weight - but it was obviously too much for my particular system.  However, even lowering the dosage will not increase the number of treatments.  (That's good news, although it did surprise me.)

There was some other good news when I got home.  Mary, with billing at Banner hospital, called - I'm going to get a couple of healthy refunds: from my port insertion surgery and my CT scan.  I just sent another check to the first hospital from my lumpectomy (after first checking with both the hospital and my insurance company before paying), but maybe that will come back to me in the end also.

The best news of all is that I feel just fine.  And hungry - I was so ravenous after leaving the doctor's office that I contemplated hitting a drive-through on the way home for a nice greasy hamburger.
 
Enjoyed my shower at the guest house this morning, but do hope the electrician shows up soon.  Schlepping my stuff back there isn't as convenient as showering here!

And that's my morning.  Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment