Saturday, December 3, 2011

Musical Instrument Museum

I heard on the news last night that today there would be free admission to the museum for Bank of America customers.  Since I've been wanting to check it out for a while (have heard such great things about it, from several people) today was the day.  What an overwhelming, world-class museum - I was most impressed.  
 But it was way too much to absorb in just one visit, so I will definitely have to return at a later date.  

Loved the technology set up - the wi-fi headphones honed in on the individual exhibits (most featured HD flat screen panels to watch the music being performed) as I approached them.  The wide range of instruments was mind-boggling, and virtually every country and ethnic group was represented.  Quite the geography lesson.
On the first floor, exhibits are organized by themes. The Orientation Gallery introduces guests to the astonishing variety of instruments, the ways music has been shaped by interaction and exchange, and the dazzling artistry of handcrafted instruments from around the world. On the second floor, instruments are organized by geography, across five major regions of the world: 
As an extra bonus, Desert Echoes Flutes was putting on a program.  Today's ensemble was comprised of 27 flautists playing a variety of instruments.  I never realized how many different types of flutes there are, and was blown away by the contra bass one, which stands taller than I do!

There was also a hands-on Experience Room where I tried out a harp, but it was so noisy in there (from the multitude of drums, gongs, a player piano, etc.) that I couldn't hear the 'music' I was creating.  Maybe next time.  I also wished I'd brought my camera (non-flash photos are allowed) but again, next time.

So - if you're looking for some place "different" to take out-of-town guests this winter, this could be just the place!

No comments:

Post a Comment