Monday, June 13, 2011

Fun fact about me

Did you know I can juggle? I learned it at the Renaissance Festival - used to take Lisa and Alex every year.


It comes in very handy when I substitute.  At the beginning of the day I introduce myself to the class and tell them 3 things about myself: I like to quilt (and show them a happy baby quilt, I love to read (and often find a spot during the day to read to them) and I juggle - at which point I whip out the hacky sacks (easier for my small hands than 'regular' juggling balls) and show them.  It takes less than a minute and is a real crowd-pleaser.  Naturally they always want more... which I promise to do before lunch "if we have a good morning", and in the afternoon I make the same promise, to juggle before dismissal "if we have a good afternoon".  It's very effective - and the kids remember me as "the lady who juggles".  Kind of a win/win situation!
I haven't gotten past the basic 3-ball juggle, but the kids (being kids) are still impressed.  They enjoy counting along with me, and seeing if I can beat my last juggle.  For the older grades we keep track of my score on a number of tries, then find the mean, median and mode of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment