Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Color is Captivating

I really do like bright colors.  When I took my Brazen Bluebirds quilt in years ago to find a border fabric, the woman at 35th Ave. quipped, "Here's a quilt that isn't afraid of color!"  While I did find a dramatic coordinating yellow that was just perfect to finish the top, that quilt is still languishing in the 'to be quilted' pile.  But it has plenty of friends to keep it company.

Here it is at Quilt Camp before it got that bright yellow border. 
(It's just a coincidence that I was wearing a t-shirt with bluebirds on it that day - 
obviously I like bluebirds!)

Not too long ago I was going through my considerable stash (the hubby has been known to ask why I keep buying more fabric when I have cabinets-ful of it already - who wants to try to explain it to him?) looking for a 12"x12" scrap of white-on-white to do my Snippets heart project for Sharon's class. I gave up after my 3rd pass through, finally acknowledging that no matter how many times I looked I just wasn't going to find a neutral piece of fabric!  (But there are worse errands than another trip to the fabric store, right?) The hearts turned out great - and we (Barbara, me, Joyce, Carolyn, Jan and Bobbi) had so much fun making them.

I have lots of fish fabric in vibrant colors (just like these guys!) that should one day make a spectacular quilt.
Here's another bright fish (taken about 10 years ago) outside the Baltimore Aquarium

This design
reminds me of the famous Mondrian painting
Composition II in Red, Blue, and Yellow, 1930
 that Lisa turned into (her first!) quilt - it turned out great!  Here are the happy quiltmaker and recipient with it before the top was grid-quilted by Pennie:
 and here it is afterward, happily residing in Chas's room.

The orange bug fabric in the quilt I made for Harry is wonderfully bright, and I had the perfect coordinating fabrics in my stash already.



And as a bonus there was even enough of them left over for the back.

Harry, however, won't share with me when I go to visit, insisting "MINE!"
 And here's his big brother Charlie, with his ladybug quilt (seen in an earlier post)

No pastels for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment