Thursday, June 7, 2018

During my eye exam Tuesday I had the doc check my old glasses, and my eyes have changed so much since that Rx that she wasn't at all surprised that I'm not really able to use them.  In fact yesterday Tom asked why I wasn't working on the quilt, and it's because the strain of looking through the old glasses for the close-work is a definite strain on my eyes and I need to take frequent breaks. 



However, new glasses were ordered Tuesday afternoon (Marcie took me to Costco) so in a week or two that problem should be solved.  YAY! Reading is definitely not comfortable with those old glasses (which creates a definite problem in my life!), but I've found that if I hold the book at arms length that does help.  And I still made a fair amount of progress on Bailey's quilt yesterday.



Last night was book club.  I'd missed the last two (I was under the weather in April, and was out of town in February) so it felt good to be back in the game.  Myra picked me up, and I heard about her long-planned recent vacation to Hawaii, which had turned out to be somewhat of a disappointment.  Their trip began with a mechanical issue with the plane; while awaiting their turn for take-off a sensor light came on, which forced a return to the airport , after which they experienced a six hour delay waiting for a part to be delivered.  The upshot of that meant they basically lost the first day of their vacation.  Then two of the places to visit that had been at the top of their list had to be cancelled: a visit to the USS Arizona Memorial (due to a crack in the foundation) and a drive through the  Hawaii National Volcano Park (for obvious reasons!)  


As Myra said, none of the problems were the fault of the tour company, but it was still frustrating.  Kind of like the river boat trip Mom and I took in France - where (due to flooding) the boat had to stay put and all traveling was done by bus.



There were nine of us at book club, and all of us agreed that the book, a sequel to one we had all loved, was not up to par.  Sadly that's too often the case.  The food was good, and Myra's desserts spectacular (as usual) so a good time was had by all.  No meeting in August, so the next time we'll meet will be in October, when the book will be The Harvey Girls.




Now off to the oncologist for my routine 6-month check.

No comments:

Post a Comment