Wednesday, November 26, 2014

WEDNESDAY we did not awake to snow, just rain.  And since the revised forecast for today predicted  temps to remain above freezing (though falling throughout the day) we assumed we weren't likely to see any of the fluffy white stuff.  It still seemed a good day to stay in, however, with steady rain coming down.  If the weather had been nicer we might have gone looking for a new recliner for Mom.  Hers does not have a handle, so she has to lean back to get the footrest to engage, and then push down on the footrest with her feet to tuck it back in before she can stand up.  She's been having trouble getting the footrest back down, and I just assumed it had to do with waning strength in her legs.  But when she told me last night that this was a recent development I wondered if maybe the mechanism just needed a little oiling.  I tipped the chair and applied WD-40 liberally, and voila, problem (more-or-less) solved.  She should probably still replace the chair for one with a lever, but at least the situation is less of a crisis - which means she can take her time finding one she really likes instead of settling for the sake of convenience.

By 10:00 this morning I had finished my sole "must do" for the day (making the deviled eggs for tomorrow) when I noticed that snowflakes were drifting down amongst the rain drops.  If the temps continued to drop throughout the day (as predicted) we figured we might see the snow start to stick (which it hadn't so far this morning) although by 10:30 it was definitely snowing huge clumps with no rain mixed in any more.

The Netflix that arrived in yesterday's mail (Wish I Was Here) is one that is on my to-see list, unlike the one we watched yesterday (I think it was called A Wanted Man) which was not the sort of movie Mom would watch, and after 'watching' it she has no idea why she ordered it. So between watching a movie, playing more Rummikub, and keeping track of the changing weather outside the window, we passed a very relaxing day... for a change!

By late morning the snow was sticking to the ground and cars, and I realized we might <g> need the squeegee tomorrow. So I bundled up and went down to the car to get it so I could bring it upstairs to wash off all the mud after yesterday's use at the cemetery.  That also gave me an 'excuse' to go out in the snow; can't remember the last time I got to see to snow...  Once the squeegee was clean I went back downstairs and cleared off the windshield and all the windows.  That way if it turns colder we'll be less likely to have to scrape a serious layer of ice off everything before we head "over the river and through the woods" tomorrow.

By the time I'd cleared off the car the snow was trying to turn back into rain, and not long afterward stopped altogether.  But by 2:00 it was snowing again; guess it just couldn't quite make up its mind.  The flurries continued throughout the afternoon, but were wet enough that they weren't really sticking to much any more.  By the time we finished dinner it seemed to have stopped.

Tom called today, and is still down with the crud.  Unless he feels considerably better tomorrow he plans to just stay home and skip Thanksgiving. That's gotta be disappointing, but partying isn't much fun when you feel crappy (and no one wants to catch what he's got!)


No comments:

Post a Comment