Thursday, August 7, 2014

THURSDAY, August 7

I had left Michael three chocolate chip cookies last night - and when I got up this morning I found he had (again) left me one.  ðŸ˜„ That (and a soak in the apple pool) was a perfect way to start the day.  

There's a tow-headed toddler here, and I heard how yesterday he was walking up to one of the does, grass in hand.  As he approached her she would move off a bit, and he would continue toddling forward.  At some point the doe gently took the grass from his hand. Sweet.

I walked down to the mailbox (about half a mile) with Terry when she went to mail off Karen's birthday present, and during the walk down and then back up I got a botany lesson when she Identified many of the flowers for me. (Not that I'll remember their names, of course!)

I got permission from Doug to attack that nasty root that's sticking straight up on the path to the Apple Pool, and he and Terry helped me find a rasp (my idea), a saw, and a mega-clipper.  So after I put in a load of laundry and had lunch (avocado, provolone cheese - and a FEW potato chips) I headed up, 'loaded for bear'. <g>  After soaking (first in the party pool, then in the apple tree pools) I did do some damage to that nasty root with the hasp (and a couple of folks passing by approved of my efforts.)  

Tom made it back (from his 3-day soujourn) in time for dinner (Terry roasted a chicken, and we also had rice and broccoli and cantaloupe) and we heard all about his travels. (Another correction: Doug and Jo live in Castle Rock - it's their vacation cabin that's in FairPlay.) Tom visited a museum one day (it wasn't scheduled to open for another 30 minutes, but the curator let him in anyway and he ended up giving her the tour) and also happened upon a gem & mineral show (in Buena Vista?) that was impressive - plus he ran into folks he knew from Quartzsite.


FRIDAY, August 8

This is the start of the annual party weekend; folks were rolling in all day yesterday, and I'm sure more will arrive today.  I hope to run into many friends from 'the old days'.  Tom brought back some strawberries and melons to make a fruit salad as our contribution to tomorrow's potluck; Terry will be cooking a turkey.  I'm looking forward to tonight's band, INTUIT. Another band will play Saturday night. Now we just have to hope that the weather behaves - had quite a downpour late yesterday afternoon and early evening.

I woke up early this morning and would have headed up to the Apple Pools - but Friday is the day they get cleaned (they were pretty mossy/slippery yesterday) and it's probably not warm enough yet (for me) at the party pool.


No comments:

Post a Comment