Wednesday, July 23, 2014

DAY 4 Thursday, July 24

I made a new friend in the pool last night, 1 1/2 year old Solomon. He loved the way I could squirt water with my hand, and laughed mightily. When his dad took him to another part of the pool he turned around and said 'bye bye'. Not too much later his mom had to bring him back over because he kept pointing at me. 

We didn't get much sleep last night.  There was a LOT of traffic in the parking area long after quiet time started at 10 - mostly people trying to sneak in. Just around the time that traffic was winding down a car pulled in beside us at midnight and blew up air mattresses with something noisy. At 4:20 am someone's car alarm went off; I counted 73 blares before the owner managed to shut it off. (Found out this morning that she set it off when she rolled over onto her car keys.) There was a lot of wind howling during the night, enough to really shake the truck; I also worried our chairs might blow away. And just to cap things off there were bright flashes of lightning (no thunder.) The noise and wind were topics of conversation in the pools today.

Today I did get into the Lobster Pot, though only lasted about 5 minutes; it's about 110, way too hot for Tom (and most of the other folks.)  In the main soaking pool (where the temp varies between 101 and 105 depending upon whether the 'massage' pipe is flowing hot or cold) I met a couple who live in Kingman - and for a while could not recall the name of the school where I taught in the 80s (La Senita).  Lots of talk re various other hot springs, and Valley View (where we'll be Tuesday) is a big favorite.

Cute little chipmunks running around, and some pretty yellow birds (larks?) Unfortunately there were also mosquitos around the pool last night, though they haven't been a problem today.

Between a little sarong around my shoulders (or my Tweety Mini-shirt) and a big hat, I have been keeping the sun from getting me. Tom has been pretty much staying out of the sun but his arms and legs already have a sun rash.  :(

This afternoon I took a break from soaking, but about the time I was ready to get back in we got a little rain - with thunder.  Didn't see any lightning, but the pools were all closed for about an hour.  Once they opened again I got to soak for about 30 minutes before the storm hit.  We rode it out in the office, with some worries about whether the camper leaked and got the bed wet, like when Tom was in Oregon.

We had dinner at a Thai restaurant (town is only a couple of miles away.) I was chilled from the cold and damp (certainly not dressed for 'winter' weather) and had soup for dinner.  Afterwards we passed by the park where the weekly Thursday night concert was going on, and couldn't believe how many people were dressed in shorts and tank tops.  When we got back to the hot springs I dug into my cold weather bag and put on a sweatshirt and jeans and crawled into the back to read while we waited for the latest rain to stop.  The back window had leaked a little so the bottom corners of the blue jean quilt got wet - but I think we'll be fine.



No comments:

Post a Comment