Tuesday, January 28, 2014

I'm back home, and had a delightful time in California!  It was an early flight Saturday morning <yawn> but a quick one.  And the Ontario airport was practically across the street from the Ontario Convention Center.  Marcela and I enjoyed the (Road To California) quilt show, although we agreed that it wasn't as nice as the one in Long Beach.  Too bad this past summer was the last one of those (sadly that show is moving to the Pacific Northwest somewhere.)  

I did take a bunch of pictures at the show, but this one may be my favorite.  With virtually all the visitors to the show women, the folks in charge got smart and 'switched over' some of the men's rooms...


I did notice that I was drawn to the landscape/picture quilts.  
Here are just a few (and of course they don't do the quilts justice!)






detail of feathers







And this one is of a spot 'near and dear' to me: Havasu Falls


I was very good when we hit the vendor sections, and almost (!) got out of the show without buying anything.  But there was a pair of scissors I just couldn't pass up; they should be a big hit at quilting.

After we headed home that night we met Steve at one of their favorite local restaurants, where they are well-known regulars and were greeted by name.  Diana asked if we minded waiting a bit before she could get to us - her help hadn't come in that evening and she was all alone... on a busy Saturday night!  Next thing I knew Steve was up and bussing tables and helping out in the kitchen.  Not only did Diana comp us our meals, she also sent us home with a scrumptious shrimp ceviche Marcela had admired as it went by our table.

Sunday was the birthday celebration for Ramona.  I was so excited about giving her the quilt!  First we did cake at her group home.


Then Ramona opened her opened gifts.

This sister picture was taken on Ramona's actual birthday last week, at Disneyland.  Marcela and Steve had surprised Ramona and her housemates by just showing up, knowing the group home was having an outing  there that day.

the unveiling of the quilt

Think she likes it? <g>


Marcela and I found the perfect spot to hang it.

And here's the whole gang: Theodora, Daniel, Ramona, Bob, Janet, Karen.  
They all had a favorite block.... their own!

Later we picked up Ramona's boyfriend Scott from his group home (the two met at work) and the 8 of us (Ramona & Marcela's mother, and aunt and uncle, were also with us) had dinner at Buca di Beppo.  It was a roaring success. 
  
And just to make things even better, one of the young waitresses recognized Scott (she's a friend of his brother Andrew) and had already heard all about the wonderful Ramona... so she took $30 off the bill!


Monday Marcela and I did a bunch of puttering around, and then went to see August: Osage County.  Meryl Streep gave her usual excellent performance.


And today I returned home.  Apparently it's been quite busy here since I left, with lots of knappers and trips to Quartzsite.  Last night there was an impromptu bluegrass concert here, which I would have enjoyed.  Unfortunately I haven't quite figured out how to be in two places at once.

And that's it for this posting.  Time for a quick soak before I go get horizontal for the evening.

Busy day tomorrow :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment