Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Tuesday morning I saw my radiation oncologist for a follow-up.  She recommends another mammogram 6 months after my last one (despite what the surgeon said about being able to go a full year) so I have made an appointment for June.  That afternoon I took a  nap, and was sleeping hard when the alarm went off to take my car in for its 3:00 oil change appointment.  I brought a book and waited, though I didn't expect it to take almost 2 hours.  In hindsight, I should have just dropped off car earlier, come home, and slept undisturbed.  Next time...

Wednesday morning was Busy Bees quilting, and I took the two quilts I'm entering in the quilt show because Sharon is the NW Valley 'person' and I could hand them over to her.  That definitely beats driving all the way to Mesa to drop them off myself!

Joni presented instructions for the second month's row of stars.


Here are Louise, Patty, Joanne, Susan, Carol, & Monica showing off their rows of little squares from last month:

 Of course <g> I took pix during Show & Tell, which I'll share here.  Carol was thrilled to have finally finished this "D" Flying Goose top (and I don't think that stood for 'delightful'....)  The top may have taken her a long time, but it certainly turned out gorgeous!

Joanne made this signature block quilt using fabrics that she won for completing the most UFOs in 2012 - Nice!

Betty's quilt, using a Pickles panel, made me smile!

Melissa has started working on next year's opportunity quilt.  She had her artist brother Ben design some original flowers and then she embroidered them on her machine.  (His first flower was much too detailed, and the second one was not one continuous line.  On the third try he finally 'got it right' - but said he never thought it'd take so long to draw a flower!)

This afternoon was my quarterly Echocardiogram.  Except for the fact that I have to pay for it (they called yesterday to say that since I haven't yet met my annual deductible I'd need to pay $1,000 up front)  it would have been a painless procedure :)
 
Of course I won't know the results for several days, but I'm not expecting it to show anything.

On the way home from that I stopped in to have the new lenses put in my frames.  It not only went amazingly fast (I was prepared, with a book, to be there a while!) but in addition to now having a nice, unscratched view of the world,  my frames are also all straightened out (don't know how they got so wonky.)  Plus I also got to shop at the Farmer's Market set up out front; apparently it's there every Wednesday afternoon.  

Tom and Alex were hard-at-it this afternoon, cutting down the 8 'bush' hedge behind the cottonwoods.  (They had to be at least 15' tall.)  We've got bulk trash this week (they've already picked up some of it, but drove by and said they'll be back tomorrow) so it really needed to be done today.  Tom has been working very hard (only 2 months post op!) and the yard keeps looking better and better. He did (finally) go out and buy a chain saw yesterday to replace the stolen one... sure beats sawing all those limbs by hand!!!

It turns out that we've got a rather large hive of bees now living inside a hollow section of one of the cottonwoods; apparently they thought about going after Alex, and Tom is concerned that they're the Africanized ones who like to attack.  We'll certainly keep an eye on things over there.

My shoulder, which after several increasingly painful weeks was finally thinking about feeling better, started really bothering me again after the recent rake-a-thon on Monday.  So this evening I tried something new and it helped a little.  There's a lot more raking that needs to be done, but I don't think I'll be able to help with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment