Thursday, May 23, 2013

Whenever there are 5 Wednesdays in a month (like this one), the 4th Wednesday Hive is designated as a Charity Sew Day.  Some of the ladies were sewing tops, while I helped out by ironing, and also pinning 'sandwiches' together for quilting.  I 'fess up that I brought home more fabric (as if I needed any); a quilting group that has disbanded (!) donated boxes of fabric to the Busy Bees, many of them sorted in kind-of jellyroll packs.  I couldn't resist, and now have the makings for (at least) a couple of baby quilts.

Thought about going to the Foothills Sew Day in the afternoon (Sharon was doing a demo I would have enjoyed) but I was dragging by then and decided to watch the Netflix that had arrived before I left a month ago.  However, it was a day for technical malfunctions.

First, the TV would not recognize the DVD player.  When I had exhausted my expertise (translation: right away) I called Tom in to see what he could do... he just loves (NOT!) dealing with problems like this.

Tom fiddled with everything for about half an hour, at which point I threw in the towel and called COX (over his protestations that this problem wasn't their responsibility.)  Ignoring him (what did I have to lose by calling?) I was connected almost immediately with Brittney, who spent about half an hour talking Tom through various scenarios.  Would it surprise anyone that none of them solved the problem?

Since a COX technician had come out shortly before I left a month ago and switched out our malfunctioning cable box (and at the same time disconnected a number of wires he said were superfluous), Brittney finally surmised that she would have to send someone over, and that was scheduled for this morning.

After the phone call ended, Tom gave it 'one more try' and tightened up a cable (that he had fiddled with numerous times) and lo and behold, the TV decided to recognize the DVD player, so I called COX and cancelled the service call.


(you didn't think this was going to be easy, did you?) there was no sound.  More fiddling with the cables, then trying a different DVD to make sure it wasn't a defective Netfix, switching back to TV mode to make sure the audio on the TV hadn't gone out, going through the endless menus to make sure we hadn't somehow turned off the audio, more fiddling with cables, etc.. ETC., ETC.!  By now it's been almost 2 hours (!) since I first sat down to 'relax' and watch the DVD... how time flies when you're having fun.  <G>

I finally 'solved' the problem <G> by taking the DVD into the bedroom and watching in there (which is what I had suggested 2 hours earlier..)


Late in the afternoon Alex came by during his break from work to welcome me home.  He's rethinking his career heading, and instead of going into Physical Training is now leaning towards something in Marketing.  With his personality I've always thought he'd make a good salesman:
(ps that should read Inuit, since Eskimo is a very derogatory term.)

  In any event, since Alex has spent these past couple of years at the community college working on his Gen Ed requirements, changing directions at this point is not an issue.  

When Alex found out about the problems with the DVD audio he said it's not the first time that's happened.  He tried one thing (which didn't work), and when he has more time (he had to get back to work) he'll work on fixing the problem for us. 


And in the TRULY Distressing News Dept, regarding my oldest friend Bev (we've known each other since we were 1, meaning forever! and grew up next door to each other):

Yesterday I learned that she will be undergoing yet another round of chemo; 
her cancer has returned for a 3rd time. 


She remains upbeat, and we all fervently hope that this

 YOU GO, GIRL!

No comments:

Post a Comment