Saturday, March 23, 2013

Friday morning Alex stopped by to pick up some more of his stuff, and ended up going over to Carol's (with Tom and Hoogie) to help pick up the large heavy equipment (drill press, band saw, and radial arm saw) from Marvin's shop.  All that time he's spent at the gym came in handy today!

We got a phone call Friday morning from a guy who was in town (from NC) hoping he'd found 'the Tom Dodge who makes knives'; he wanted to come over and buy one. And when Pete came by in the afternoon he was so impressed with Tom's work he ended up buying four!  He was going to get a motel before heading to the airport early this morning, but we offered him the guest house (much appreciated) and he then took us out to dinner.  Everyone was happy!

I had a very enjoyable lunch with Renee (as always) at Le Chalet.  She's busy (as always) but is looking for a new place to volunteer - Learning Ally, which records textbooks for the blind (and where the two of us met) has closed!  That's VERY sad news indeed!

Based in Princeton, they've had to shut down a number of locations around the country (budget cuts?) and sadly Phoenix was one of those places.  I always enjoyed my weekly recording session; helping others read has always been a 'mission' of mine, so I was sad when chemo made me too tired to even think about volunteering during treatment. I was just thinking the other day that once I get back from my trip with Mom I'd be able to go back to recording books.  

On the way home from lunch, shortly after I turned onto Union Hills at 55th Ave., I had to pull over for a police car that was really zooming; I no sooner got started again after it passed when I heard more sirens and saw the flashing lights of another few police cars in my rear view mirror.  They came flying by, and then a whole bunch, more than a dozen, went roaring past.  As fast as they were going on a surface street (really, really fast!), and as many as there were, it was definitely NOT a good sign.  When they turned onto 51st at the high school, of course I thought the worst.  But there was nothing on the local news later (I watched at 4:00, 4:30, and 5:00) so I have no idea what the emergency was.  Maybe there will be something in the paper this morning?

Once I got home I saw that the mail had been delivered (delivery times have been very chaotic the past few weeks, and sometimes not until dinner) and was more than a little surprised to find Sandy's birthday present which I had just mailed at the post office the day before.  So I headed back  to the PO to see if I could find out why.  There was a very long line (out the door) but I just bypassed the line and went up to the same clerk who waited on me yesterday.  He remembered the package (very distinctive, with yellow duct tape) and had no idea why it came back to me.  He took it (again), and hopefully this time it will head to Maryland.

Enjoy your Saturday.... I know I will, because Carol and I are off to the massage school to get the massages we missed out on last weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear the blind recording place closed, my husband spends all day and half the night listening to talking books. Wonder what the brouhaha was with the police. Two days ago a man on a bicycle was laying on Union Hills at Westbrook Parkway. Don't know if he simply fell or was hit by a car, nothing news-wise about that either.

    ReplyDelete