Sunday, July 17, 2011

Visit with Betty

Yesterday I made a trip to Mulqueen's for their Christmas in July fabric sale (not that I really 'needed' any more fabric) and had fun.   Only bought 11 yards - but with prices at $4.95/yd, how is one to resist? 
I actually thought I reined myself in pretty well! 
 
Did surprise myself by falling for this pastel batik (I usually am drawn to more intense colors) but I have thought of several things to do with it.
Also picked up a variety of cream/tone-on-tone fat quarters for use in a heart quilt 'down the road'.

And since I was 'in the neighborhood', I paid a visit to Betty.  She does live a good distance from me, but I'm so glad I finally made it over there.  After I fixed her up with regard to her computer (those of you who know me will get a laugh that I can help anyone with a computer) 
 we had a lovely chat.  And I so wished I'd brought my camera.  Betty's country-style house (she must see Pam's house!) has so many delightful collections, as well as antique furniture (one mirrored cabinet now lives in the bathroom, housing the sink) and beautiful artwork (she and her daughter are very talented painters), and there are stacks and stacks of quilts tucked away here, there, and everywhere!  There's a cute little cottage out back that she originally used as a painting studio - but once she made her first quilt "that was that".  
 
Here's a pic of Betty I snapped at Quilt Camp several summers ago. 
Betty (blue hat), Linda Callahan* (green hat), and Carol (pink hat.)  What a tremendous amount of quilt know-how and artistry is represented by these very talented (and fun) women.

*Linda Callahan (February 21, 1933 - February 9, 2008) “lived for quilting". She played a major role in the organization of the Arizona Quilters Guild, and was instrumental  in founding four AQG chapters: Crazy Quilters (the first chapter), Night Owls, Busy Bees and Vulture Peak Patchers.  A giving and gifted teacher, Linda's work was recognized for its fine workmanship.  Although others considered her an artist, she defined herself as a “skilled technician with desire for excellence.”  Her most notable recognition was the Grand Prize in The Better Homes and Gardens Quilt Festival, an international competition.  Additional recognitions included a Grand Prize for an American Folk Art Album Quilt and the Grand Canyon Quilt Celebration Grand Prize.  In accepting his mother’s recognition at being inducted into the newly created Arizona Quilters Hall of Fame, Kris Reid said, “My mother would have been so pleased to receive this honor. The joy she found in quilting and her friends were the most important things in her life.”

I was the honored recipient of a Jewel Box quilttop that Linda gifted to me at the end of her life, and which Pennie then quilted.

No comments:

Post a Comment